Monday, April 20, 2020

Day 33, Corona Lockdown


     It's hard to believe we're on day 33 of a countrywide lockdown. Shit, it's a worldwide lockdown! I wake up each morning and the first 30 seconds before I fully come awake, all is well. I sit up on the side of my bed, take a deep breath, and then realize with a sigh, another day in quarantine. Another day with hours to fill and time on my hands. I have been made to slow down, whether I like it or not.
     I think my hardest week was the third one. I'm a homebody but I do like getting out once a week just for inspiration. By the third week, I was getting antsy. I did make it and used it to do some soul searching. Now I'm looking at this lockdown as a way to stop rushing through life. I didn't need to be busy all day and I'm sure not feeling guilty about it. I have days where I'm full of piss and vinegar and I get a lot done. I also have days when I curl up on my big chair and read a book. Maybe do some crochet while I watch an episode of Expanse or listen to my favorite music. I don't need to be go-go-go every waking moment of every day.

     Each day brings new challenges as to how I spend my day. Yesterday I did a load of laundry and made muffins. I think we're getting tired of muffins so now I'll have to get a bit more creative. Today I'll vacuum and get another load of laundry done. I have to remember to water the house plants. They're looking rather droopy. Tomorrow is another day and I'll worry about that when it gets here. 

     I do my writing from my kitchen window. It faces the street, not that there's much in the way of excitement happening. People walking. Dog walkers and a bit of exercise are what keeps them going every day. They know this part of their day is already mapped out for them. Routine helps to bite a big chunk out of my day, not so much time to fill. Every morning you'll find me right here, coffee in hand, talking to my trusty laptop. This is how I've started my mornings for the last 6 years. I saw no need to change that because of a pandemic. This time of writing first thing in the morning usually sets my tone for the whole day.

     I think like everyone else, right now at this moment, I am actually living one day at a time. I don't think I've ever done this before. Until the virus is under control, I have no idea what tomorrow is going to be. It's easier not to think about it. I focus on today. I make today the best day I can with what I have at hand. This is my home and I have all my favorite things right here. Learning to slow down is giving me peace and contentment. I'm satisfied.

     I also know that when this war is over, the world will probably go back to the way it was but I don't know if I will. I like this easy pace. I no longer want to rush through what's left of my life. I want to take as much time as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment