Friday, October 19, 2018

I Have A Dream

     Over the past two years, I've been working on a website for an online store of my own. I made myself a promise to have it up and running by the time I turned 65. That date is quickly approaching. I have good ideas of what I want but trying to implement them has not been easy. I have a dream but it's all locked up in this foggy brain of mine. Each and every step is a learning curve. 


      I've always wanted to use my craft to earn a small income. For years I did so at Farmer's Markets and craft shows. I spent a lot of time on the road on the weekends. Now that I'm retired I actually have the opportunity to do so but I no longer want to travel all over the countryside. I'm past the point of spending hours on the road setting up, tearing down and packing it all away for another weekend.  And then there's driving in all kinds of weather because Mother Nature does not accommodate crafters.

     I tried to have the store up and running in the fall of 2017 but I suddenly had to pack up for a move. I figured I would be able to get it all together by this fall but along came another move and a family reunion. There were times when I just wanted to give it up and say screw it. I got to a point where I figured it just wasn't going to happen. Well, now that we're all moved in, settled again and I have time on my hands, the itch has come back and I so want to do this.

     I've been writing blogs on and off for the past ten years now. I've always used Blogger because of its simple platform and ease of use but it doesn't always have what I want. I know there are other sites out there but some are so dam complicated and others are constantly changing their platforms. Once I get the site built, I don't want to have to spend hours revamping everything on a monthly basis because the site has changed its parameters. I'm a firm believer of keeping things simple. It's also a matter of keeping costs down to a minimum. Blogger doesn't charge me for using their platform as an online store, most of the others do.

     I purchased a domain name and that cost me a few dollars more because I wanted my URL as .ca. I want people to know it's Made in Canada. I ordered business cards, which I will have to do again because we moved. I want to offer local pick-up and we now have a new address. I have three huge Rubbermaid containers full of product ready to go. The only hold up is the site and choosing a checkout system. I think I will end up going with PayPal.

     My biggest hurdle is indoor photography. It never comes out how I want the customer to see it. This is the one thing that can break or make my website. I've read all the articles and I've tried all the tricks but it doesn't seem to work for me. I always end up with shadows where I don't want them or the color is so off that I can't photoshop it. Indoor photography just doesn't work for me. I may have to break down and battle the elements. I'll just keep the photography for the good days.

     It's been an uphill battle but now I'm beginning to feel confident again. I can do this. I may stumble a few times but I will figure it all out. I'll keep you posted.

9 comments:

  1. Congrat's on all your hard work honey. The site is lovely and with all your hardwork it will definitely work out I'm sure!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Linda. It has been hard work but anything worth having is worth the time creating. Have a great day in the sun.

      Delete
  2. I just know that you will do it and that you will be successful, not because you are that crazy lady, but because your work is fantastic and I have faith that your blog will serve you well. Great success to you my friend. Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now Bruce don't you be saying I'm not a Crazy Lady. I have a reputation to keep up. Thank you for the well wishes. I have no doubt I can do this but I do get frustrated at times.

      Delete
  3. I wish you all the best, Judy. It's funny that after all these years, we meet up again only to find out we have been doing similar things. I, too, have been doing the craft /art show circuit for about 10 years now. I, too, am close to retirement and want to set up a better online presence. Photography is the bane of my existence sometimes too. And no, Mother Nature, is not always kind to weekend travelers. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my dear friend. This has been a long journey for me that started in New Brunswick in 1993 when jobs were limited. I've had numerous small companies since then but the travelling does catch up to you. Now that I'm retired I still want to create but I no longer want to travel. I sold on ebay for quite some time but costs kept going up so voila my online store. It has been a learning experience but one that I am hoping will pay off. I've been to your Etsy page and your items are quite remarkable. You have real talent and know what people are looking for. Here's to success for us both.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Judy. I, too, wish us all the best.

      Delete
  4. So exciting! Hope it goes well! I like your items you posted here! Your work looks lovely. And your logo is nice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It took me months to design that logo. Now all I need to do is learn how to take decent photos. It doesn't matter what I do, the color never comes out true. I was up late last night searching the web for ideas. I found a few I'll be trying over the next few days and I'm praying it all works out.

      Delete