Friday, April 10, 2020

COVID-19, Day 25


     It's day 25 of the COVID-19 lockdown and it still doesn't look any better out there. There are days when I feel like I'm on the set of an episode of The Walking Dead. It's all so surreal. Even though I knew this was coming for a long time, I'm still wondering how this could have happened. Why didn't the leaders of our country put us into lockdown straight away and tighten our borders? They knew what was happening in China and yet they chose to do nothing. I don't understand how they made the decision to play with millions of lives because of big business. Now everything is going to come crashing down on their heads. This virus doesn't care if you are rich or poor. It doesn't care about the color of your skin. It doesn't care about the number of people dying. Our government is trying to help as best they can now, but is it too little, too late? If they had done what was right from day one, we might have been able to avoid the worst of this catastrophe.
     One thing I do know, Canada needs to bring manufacturing back to our own country. We need to supply our own needs. Give people jobs and make them proud that they can contribute to their own well being. Numerous companies that were ready to close, have revamped their factories to produce the masks we need, hand sanitizers that have become a staple during this time of crisis and gloves. Citizens have come together to sew from home and make gowns for community hospitals and our first responders. The people of Canada have made me proud to call myself a Canadian.

     We won't come out of this the same way we went in. But, will we have learned anything from all of this? I highly doubt it. Any way you look at it, greed for money and possessions will still come out ahead over the safety of the people. I truly hope I am wrong. We now live in a world where anything can happen and not only computers get viruses and crash.

No comments:

Post a Comment