Thursday, April 15, 2021

Getting Back to Basics

      

     The days are getting longer and we have buds on the big maple tree outback. My chives are up about 4" already and some of the other herbs are starting to turn green. The birds are coming in and the chipmunks are back. This is the time of year when life feels so promising.

        It's been quite some time since I've posted anything but I have to admit being in lock-down time and again over this past year doesn't do much for your inspiration. There's no interaction with others, no stimulus. It's challenging to find new ideas. At present, it seems the only topic of conversation is Covid. I for one believe in science and I have to believe that our various governments are doing what they can to try and stop the spread but part of that has to be our choices also. Living here in the north we still have a few more options especially for those who love the great outdoors. It has been a hard year and one we won't soon forget.

      So, I've decided it's time to get back to it and maybe try to start over. I'm not going to make any big changes. In fact, I'm not going to change anything at all about the site. I'm just going to start writing. Yes, we are in lockdown. Yes, there is still no outside stimulation. Yes, life isn't exactly perfect right now. But, I can write about what I do to keep myself busy and from going bat shit crazy. I can talk about how I am staying healthy while all of this crap is going on.

      The house is quiet at the moment. Nothing is running, not even the fridge. It's been raining for 3 days but we needed it. We didn't have much snow last winter and spring hasn't been what we would call wet. We could end up with a fire band for the whole summer. With Covid running rampant in Ontario, the last thing we need is a forest fire. So much for the quiet, the fridge just kicked in.

      I must have made at least 200 hats this past year while under "health arrest". My crochet and knitting skills have improved immensely. I'm at the point where I can look at a hat and come up with a pretty good design of my own. There might be something in the design or the color scheme or maybe even the stitches that catch my eye. I am absolutely useless when it comes to putting colors together. When I see something I like, I know YouTube will have a video tutorial on what I need. Whether it be a new stitch, or how to make a different flower or applique, someone will have made a video. We are so lucky to have the technology that we do.

      One thing Covid has taught us is how resourceful we can be when we have to be. People found out they could cook and bake if they had to. Others started to make their own bread. These are major accomplishments for some people. Some took up painting or learned to crochet or knit. Some stayed home to teach their children. All of this past year has been hard but you have to look at the small victories that have happened. There is a great deal of us that learned new skills, some found out they could work from home. Others started that fitness program they wanted to do for so long and are now reaping the benefits. We also learned we could live with a lot less than we thought we needed.

      Covid has brought us a shit load of heartache this past year but it also brought about a mini-revolution of getting back to basics for some.          





No comments:

Post a Comment